Each spring, AVECC selects two high school juniors to attend Washington Youth Tour. The winners are chosen through an interview process. Applicants must be high school juniors whose parents or guardians are AVECC members.
Through the Youth Tour, Arkansas’ youth learn more about the workings of their nation’s government and electric cooperatives while simultaneously developing leadership skills.
The Washington Youth Tour will not take place in Washington D.C. this year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. This year’s participants will participate in an Arkansas statewide virtual program that will allow them to connect and learn this June 18th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 24th, and 25th.
This virtual experience will consist of:
- Learning about electric cooperatives and the cooperative business model;
- Hearing from Arkansas lawmakers on Capitol Hill and the Arkansas State Capitol;
- Hearing from Arkansas business, education, and faith leaders on the pandemic and related processes in Arkansas;
- Electing a Youth Leadership Council (YLC) representative to NRECA’s YLC program;
- Interacting with each other virtually; and
- Students will learn how to earn a $5,000 college scholarship by planning and executing a public service project in the local community.
- Youth Tour will offer gift cards each day to students who successfully answer trivia questions regarding the content covered to keep students engaged.
Applications are due March 31, 2021, and winners announced the last week of April.
For more information regarding the AVECC scholarship and Washington Youth Tour, please visit www.avecc.com.
For more information, contact Member Services at (800) 468-2176.
Don’t miss out on this incredible, life-changing opportunity.
It’s a trip of a lifetime!
Sorry, but this form is no longer accepting submissions.